Petition Launched to Continue Search for Missing Bourbon Rhode Crew

BourbonImage Courtesy: Bourbon Offshore

Families and friends of the missing AHTS Bourbon Rhode seafarers, as well as maritime professionals, have started a petition* to get active search and rescue (SAR) operations back on track. 

As explained, seven Croatian and Ukrainian crew members of the sunken vessel had reportedly boarded life rafts and may be floating somewhere in the Atlantic.

 “We believe they are still alive and waiting for a miracle,” the petition initiators stressed.

The move comes after French offshore vessel owner Bourbon said on October 5 that the SAR operations, even with seven more missing sailors that may have survived the sinking, will take place only by vessels in the shipwreck zone.

“Several vessels have continued to survey the search area today (October 5), with no results for the past 4 days. The CROSS has decided to make the search operation evolve. It will regularly disseminate messages to vessels in the shipwreck zone and ask them to carry out adapted watch,” the company said.

To remind, the Luxembourg-flagged Bourbon Rhode AHTS sank after it was hit by a category 4 hurricane. At the time of the incident, the vessel, crewed by 14 Ukrainian, Russian, South African, Filipino and Croatian seafarers, was in transit some 1,200 nautical miles off the French Martinique island and 60 nautical miles south-south east from the eye of the hurricane Lorenzo in the Atlantic.

Search operations carried out since September 26 by the CROSS French West Indies-Guyana and the French Navy have resulted in finding three survivors of the shipwreck, as well as recovering the bodies of four seafarers. Since October 1, no more survivors or bodies have been found.

On October 7, Bourbon informed that the three survivors arrived in Fort de France on board the French Navy frigate Ventose. The three of them, all in good health, have been reunited with their families.

The company added that the 90-meter AHTS Alp Striker, capable of operating over very long distances, is still surveying the area to find the missing Croatian Master Dino Miskic and his crewmen.

Separately, Croatia has also requested the U.S. assistance in the search for the missing seafarers.

Speaking to reporters on Sunday, Croatia’s Minister of Foreign and European Affairs, Gordan Grlić-Radman, said that he believes the missing Croatian sea captain was alive, adding that “not all options had been exhausted.”

Croatia’s President, Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic, has written to her French counterpart, Emmanuel Macron, asking that the decision to suspend active search be reconsidered.


*The petition can be found here.

Share this article

Follow World Maritime News

In Depth>

Events>

<< Nov 2019 >>
MTWTFSS
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 1

Maritime Reconnaissance and Surveillance Technology

As varied threats in the Mediterranean Sea continue to proliferate, the need to advance…

read more >

CrewConnect Global 2019

CrewConnect Global is the leading forum for collaboration to advance new industry approaches to seafarer recruitment and training.

read more >

CruiseConnect Global 2019

Attend CrewConnect Global and stay on for the CruiseConnect Summit to take part in an industry-wide conversation focused…

read more >

CWC World LNG Summit & Awards Evening

The CWC World LNG Summit & Awards Evening will be returning to Rome in 2019 to celebrate it’s 20th year.

read more >