Export Rally Continues at Port of Oakland

Image Courtesy: Port of Oakland

Californian Port of Oakland said that November was the third straight month of double-digit growth of export container volumes, with exports having risen for the 10th time this year. 

Containerized export volume increased 11.5 percent in November from the same period last year, the port said.

The port added that exports are surging despite a strengthening dollar that makes American products more expensive overseas.

“If you listen to conventional wisdom, exports should be facing headwinds. But the clamor overseas for high-quality American commodities hasn’t peaked, so our volumes keep climbing,” John Driscoll, Port of Oakland’s Maritime Director, said.

The Port of Oakland said it shipped the equivalent of 85,915 TEU export containers last month. That was the second-highest total of 2016.

Through 11 months of 2016, Oakland export volumes went up 10.3 percent and containerized imports rose 4.5 percent.

Total loaded container volumes have increased 7.4 percent, according to the port.

Exports have accounted for 52 percent of Oakland’s loaded cargo volume in 2016 and imports for the other 48 percent.

Share this article

Follow World Maritime News

In Depth>

Events>

<< Dec 2017 >>
MTWTFSS
27 28 29 30 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

APM – ASIA PACIFIC MARITIME 2018

27 years in the making, APM is the premier shipbuilding & marine, workboat and offshore exhibition in Asia trusted by generations of industry professionals.

read more >

Mega Cargo Show 2018

The focus of the event is to bring all connected with cargo fraternity on a single platform…

read more >

Vietship 2018

Vietship is the largest and longest established exhibition in Vietnam featuring all aspect of Shipbuilding, Shipping and Offshore Technology.

Since its first event in 2002, Vietship has become the convergence and platform of advanced technologies regional and worldwide in shipbuilding and ship repair, marine equipment, waterway transportation and services, marine and offshore engineering.

After 16 years of eight consecutive editions, Vietship has affirm itself as an important event in enhancing cooperation and development, attracting investments, exchanging technology and creating ideal opportunities for trade promotion in the international maritime industry.

More info

read more >

LNG Bunkering Summit 2018

The conference will cover the obstacles facing both the shipping and port communities, exploring developments in conversion and new builds…

read more >