The 2015-built containership Maersk Shams, operating on a long-term time charter with the Danish shipping giant Maersk Line, was refloated in the evening hours on July 5 after it grounded in the Suez Canal earlier that day.
After it was refloated, the vessel proceeded to the Suez Canal anchorage “in order to assess any potential damage occurred from the grounding,” Maersk Line said.
Latest AIS data, provided by Marine Traffic, shows that the Marshall Islands-flagged ship is currently at anchor.
The 9,971 TEU boxship, which ran aground during a southbound transit, was en route from Algeciras to Aqaba at the time of the incident, according to Maersk Line.
GAC earlier said that the incident was expected to cause traffic delays in the Suez Canal.
The 117,176 dwt vessel was the 13th of 33 vessels in the Southbound Convoy.
Build by the South Korean shipbuilder Hyundai Heavy Industries, Maersk Shams is owned and operated by Oceanbulk Container Management S.A.
World Maritime News Staff