German carrier Hapag-Lloyd informed that it was temporary stopping bookings for Yemen amid intensifying safety crisis in the country caused by the ongoing armed conflict.
“Owing to the current political development and the current air strikes in Yemen, transportation in and out of Yemen has been affected to a great extent. Feeder traffic has also been severely disrupted. We regret to advise that under these circumstances, acceptance of cargo bookings to and from Yemen has to be suspended for the time being,” the company said in an advisory.
With respect to bookings already accepted for shipment and cargo in transit particularly affected by this situation, Hapag Lloyd said it would issue a notice accordingly.
The announcement comes as street fighting continues in Aden city areas. Houthi troops are shelling Aden by tanks, and the port is virtually closed, except for some oil shipments at Aden Refinery. Dry cargo shipments have been stopped because no stevedores are available due to armed clashes, GAC said in a update on Wednesday.
In addition, the escalating street violence in the country’s main seaport of Aden saw some of its grain silos set ablaze on Wednesday, Bloomberg reports.
The Yemeni Red Sea ports of Hodeidah, Saleef, Mokha and Ras Isa are operating as normal as there are no hostilities in the area. Offshore terminals are also operational, according to GAC.
As informed, the said ports are so far not under blockade by any naval forces of the Saudi Arabian coalition, and there was no hindrance to vessels calling at the ports.
World Maritime News Staff