Drowning of 500 Migrants in the Med Deliberate, Survivors Say

Over 500 migrants are believed to have been deliberately drowned by human traffickers this weekend in the Mediterranean Sea while trying to reach European shores.


Investigators from the International Organization for Migration said that they have obtained eyewitness testimony of a tragic incident in which as many as 500 migrants were drowned when their vessel was deliberately sunk in the Mediterranean.

The survivors said that the traffickers turned violent when the 500 migrants they were escorting to Europe refused to switch to an unseaworthy boat. 

The survivors interviewed in Crete yesterday told IOM  that they already had been forced to change boats three times.  When they refused a fourth switch – because they felt the smaller vessel was unsafe – a violent argument ensued. The smugglers threatened that if the passengers did not board the smaller boat they would be returned to Egypt, the survivors told IOM. The migrants persisted saying they would rather return than board the smaller boat.

According to IOM, these reports point to a growing death toll off Europe’s shores which this year already approaches 3,000. That’s nearly four times the figure from 2013, which IOM’s Missing Migrants Project estimated to be 700 deaths.

“The numbers dying off Europe’s coasts are shocking and unacceptable,” said IOM’s Director General William Lacy Swing. “These are women, children and men who only hope for a more dignified life. The risks they take reflect their desperation and we cannot keep abandoning them to their fate.”

By Tuesday morning authorities in Italy, Malta and Greece had confirmed to IOM staffers the rescue of 10 migrants from the lost vessel. Additionally, three bodies from the shipwreck have been found.

The survivors in Sicily told IOM that they left the port of Damietta in Egypt on Saturday September 6th, with some 500 men, women and children from the Middle East and Africa aboard. They said they were forced to switch vessels several times but resisted a switch to a replacement craft they deemed un-seaworthy. Enraged, the traffickers reportedly rammed the boat with their own, the witnesses said.

“After they hit our boat they waited to make sure that it had sunk completely before leaving. They were laughing,” one of the survivors told IOM. 

 All the witnesses stated that the smugglers were Palestinian and Egyptian nationals.   

The two witnesses told IOM staff they fled Gaza through Egypt at the beginning of September.

According to their testimony there were Syrians, Palestinians, Egyptians and Sudanese aboard.

“If survivors’ reports are confirmed, this will be the worst shipwreck of migrants in years, not an accidental tragedy, but the apparent deliberate drowning of migrants by criminal gangs who extort money for their desperate journeys. Their actions are as callous as they are evil,” said IOM spokesperson Leonard Doyle.

“If these reports are verified, the death toll for the past week would be over 700 people lost at sea, making this one of the most deadly periods of recent years.”

Other survivors of the tragedy who were brought ashore in Crete confirmed that there were some 500 migrants on the vessel when it sank.

Most of the 500 passengers drowned, but others managed to remain afloat by holding on to debris and flotation devices. After almost two days in the sea, a Panamanian-flagged merchant vessel “Pegasus”, carrying 386 migrants rescued from yet another boat, found the two Palestinian men floating in the water. They were taken to the Italian port of Pozzallo two days ago where they remain in a state of exhaustion and shock after their experience.

A UK-flagged vessel saved another five adults and a child from the sea and they are now in Crete. Two others were rescued off Malta.

Authorities are also investigating a report that a further 200 people are missing, presumed drowned in an incident off Libya and another 15 died off the coast of Egypt.

Source: IOM, September 17, 2014

 



Share this article

Follow World Maritime News

In Depth>

Events>

<< Mar 2017 >>
MTWTFSS
27 28 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31 1 2

Breakbulk Europe 2017

For more than a decade, Breakbulk Europe has served as the networking hub for industry professionals who do business in Europe — or would like to! Exhibitors and sponsors include cargo owners, ocean carriers, freight forwarders, ports/terminals, heavy haulers, equipment companies and more that are involved in this specialized industry.

In addition to exceptional networking opportunities, Breakbulk Europe provides a dynamic conference, along with a range of educational and training workshops — intensive all-day classes held the day before the exhibition opens as well as many on-the-floor sessions.

  • Over 7,600 participants attended Breakbulk Europe 2016
  • Meet with over 400 exhibitors and sponsors
  • Hear from industry experts, including leading shippers, during the conference sessions
  • Learn new skills in the educational workshops held before the exhibition and on-the-floor micro-seminars and exhibitor-led sessions during the event

More info

read more >

Ferries Asia Summit

Propelling Regional Waterway Connectivity & Fleet-wide Operational Excellence

Ferry travel is in the limelight. The potential for driving tourism growth is immense – and for archipelago nations battling with urban congestion, ferry services pose a clean, efficient alternative in everyday public transport. But high-profile ferry accidents have brought ever greater attention to safety regulations for Asia’s maritime travel industry.

Amid these circumstances, how can vessel operators cope with ever-tightening safety requirements, while making the right decisions at the right time to capture rising demand? What are the smartest ways to improve service reliability and fleet quality, that maximize operating and capital spend? What are the industry’s best-practices for sustainable growth, and how can they be achieved?

Play your part! Join us at the Ferries Asia Summit 2017 to push forward the regional debate on making Asia’s ferry industry more progressive, safe, and commercially sustainable. Bringing together fast-ferry, RO-RO and ROPAX vessel owners along with international and domestic maritime regulators, classification agencies, shipbuilders and naval architects, this event connects the entire value chain for a meaningful holistic debate on ferry operations excellence in Asia.

WHAT’S ON THE AGENDA THIS YEAR?

Comprehensive debates on addressing the complexity of ferry safety in Asia: Is vessel age truly the greatest concern? How significant are other factors, and how can they be addressed?

Pathways to change through greater public-private collaboration

Contrasting viewpoints on the most effective ways to enhance operational stability & passenger management

Cost-efficient O&M strategies to extend vessel life & tips for stakeholder management to avoid purchasing mistakes

Integrating ferry business with tourism opportunities through strategic partnerships

Exciting formats including speed networking, panel discussions & a high-intensity fast-pitch ‘Shark Tank’!

For more information, click here to download the brochure.
If you would like to attend the event, register here before 3rd February to save USD 400.
Alternatively, email us at enquiry@iqpc.com.sg 
for any enquiries regarding the event.

More info

read more >

INMEX Vietnam 2017

The event is an exceptional meeting point for the global maritime community in Vietnam, a region where the industry remains buoyant and strong…

read more >

Singapore Maritime Week 2017

Singapore Maritime Week (SMW) is the leading maritime event in Singapore. Driven by the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA), SMW…

read more >